Taken from Jane Grigson’s FRUIT BOOK, © Jane Grigson 1982 Michael Joseph/Penguin as well as THE BEST OF JANE GRIGSON © Sophie Grigson 1992, Michael Joseph
Prep. Time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 – 20 minutes
Makes: 1 x 23 cm (9 inch) cake
Butter 160 g
Sugar 375 g
Egg yolks 4
Ground almonds 100 g
Flour 300 g
Redcurrants, free of stalks 500 g
Egg whites 4
1. Cream the butter and on third of the sugar, add the yolks, almonds and flour. Or else mix to a dough in the processor.
2. Roll out into a circle to fit a 23 cm (9 inch) tart tin, preferably one with a removable base.
3. Bake at 190-200 °C for 30 minutes until cook.
4. Meanwhile mix the redcurrants with half of the remaining sugar.
5. Whip the egg whites until stiff, add half of the remaining sugar and whip once more until thick and soft. Finally fold in the rest of the sugar.
6. Take the almond base from the oven and raise the heat to 220 °C. Spread the redcurrants and sugar over the pastry, leaving a narrow rim of cake free.
7. Pile on the meringue, right to the edge of the cake. Fork it up and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the meringue is nicely caught with brown. Be guided entirely by appearance, rather than precise timing. Serve warm or cold.