17 July 2014
… just about the best thing you can do to a punnet of plums…
Prep. Time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 – 20 minutes + infusing overnight
Makes: approx. 600 ml of syrup
Sugar 500 g
Water 500 ml
Vanilla pod 1/2
1. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan over a gentle heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Split open one half of a vanilla pod with a sharp knife, scrape out the seeds and put everything – the pod and the seeds – into the saucepan with the sugar water.
3. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and leave, covered, to infuse overnight.
4. Use to cook fresh plums, either by simmering the plums in the vanilla syrup, or pouring the syrup over the plums in a baking dish and roasting them in the oven.
5. Remove the vanilla pods only when ready to serve.
Pingback: Pretty Prunings and Plum Preserves | An Edible Landscape