… originating from the Franco-Germanic region of Alsace, recipes for Flammkuchen are now legion and it has moved on from its (albeit very tasty) cheese, onion, bacon roots…
It is Germany’s answer to pizza and – to my mind – a more sophisticated option.
This is my basic version with plenty of room for innovation – recipes are there to be tweaked after all!
Prep. Time: about 20 minutes – plus rising time
Cooking time: 20 to 30 minutes
Serves 4 to 6
For the yeast dough base
Strong white bread flour 500 g
Fresh yeast 15 g
Salt 11/2 tsp
Sugar 11/2 tsp
Oil (rapeseed oil or olive oil) 2 tbsp
- Place the flour in a bowl together with the crumbled yeast, rubbing it in until well mixed.
- Add the salt and sugar and make a hollow in the middle of the flour.
- Measure out 300 ml of lukewarm water (100 ml boiling water with 200 ml cold water) and pour into the flour. Add the oil.
- Work quickly into a soft, sticky dough using your hands.
- Tip out onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth.
- Cover and leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Roll out to the size of a baking sheet. Line the baking sheet with baking paper, place the dough on top and leave to rise again while you prepare the topping.
For the topping
Cream cheese 200 g
Sour cream 200 g
Salt and pepper to taste
Lardons (or chopped bacon/ham) 200 g
Grated cheese (e.g. Emmental or cheddar) 100 g
Garlic clove, crushed 1
Vegetable ingredients of your choice approx. 250 g
pre-cooked – or not – according to taste
e.g. onion (sliced) and garlic (crushed)
pumpkin and carrots (both in strips)
chard or spinach (shredded)
Chutney of your choice – spread (quantity to taste) over the dough base before adding the cream mixture
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 °C.
- Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, egg, grated cheese and crushed garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cream mixture over the prepared dough base and layer your chosen vegetable ingredients on top. Sprinkle with the lardons.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes until nicely browned on top. Serve warm.