A temperature spike into double digits for one day in January had us out in the orchard for a day of snow-free winter pruning and fence building this weekend.
Catering for the winter workers: Portable Pies and Mulled Wine Cake for the coffee break(s) – perfect for using up the dregs of any “Glühwein” you might have standing around…
Mulled Wine Cake
Prep. Time: about 15 minutes
Cooking time: about 45 minutes
Makes 1 loaf tin
Butter (softened) 110 g
Sugar 170 g
Baking powder 2 tsp
Salt ½ tsp
Plain flour 220 g
Yoghurt 50 ml
Mulled wine (cold) 100 ml
Vanilla essence 1 tsp
Icing sugar, mulled wine and/or melted chocolate for decorating
1) Beat the butter and sugar together in a mixer until creamy, then beat in the eggs one at a time, together with the vanilla essence.
2) Sift the flour together with the baking powder and salt and beat into the egg mixture alternately with the yoghurt and mulled wine.
3) Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake at 180 °C for about 45 minutes.
4) Remove the cake from the tin and allow to cool completely before decorating.
5) To decorate, drizzle with melted chocolate and/or glace icing (made by heating about 1 tablespoon of mulled wine to just below boiling point and stirring enough icing sugar to produce a glace icing of pouring consistency).