30 August 2014
This works brilliantly with pears too! For the pear version I add a generous teaspoon of ground ginger to the dry ingredients and caramelise the pears with butter and dark brown sugar in a frying pan, together with a teaspoon or two of chopped fresh ginger, before arranging them over the cake mixture and baking…
Prep. Time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 – 50 mins
Makes 1 x 26 cm tin
Plain flour 250g
Vanilla essence ½ tsp
Apples (e.g. Boskop) 6
Orange juice 3 Tbsp
Apple schnapps 1 Tbsp
Baking powder ½ tsp
Ground almonds 200g
Butter for greasing and melted butter for brushing
1. Knead together the flour, butter, 75 g of the sugar, the vanilla essence and one egg to form a smooth dough and then chill for 30 minutes.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C. Roll the dough out on a floured surface and line the base and sides of a round cake tin (26 cm). Bake blind in the oven for about 15 minutes and then set aside to cool slightly.
3. Separate the remaining eggs. Beat the egg yolks together with the remaining sugar until foamy.
4. Peel one of the apples, remove the core and then grate. Combine the grated apple with the beaten egg yolks, the orange juice and the apple schnapps.
5. Combine the cornflour, baking powder and ground almonds and then fold into the grated apple mixture.
6. Beat the egg whites until stiff, fold into the grated apple mixture and then pour into the cooked base in the tin.
7. Peel the remaining apples, remove the cores, cut into quarters and score the convex sides with a knife.
8. Arrange the scored apple pieces over the mixture in the tin, brush with melted butter and bake at 175°C for about 45-30 minutes.